We strongly encourage family members and caregivers to visit their youth and keep in touch with them by phone during this pivotal time in the youth's life. The youth benefits from having his or her support network involved. If your youth is at a community-based residential facility, please talk with your youth’s case manager about visiting hours.
People Permitted to Visit Youth
- Parents or Guardians
- Parent of a youth’s child (if under 18, must visit with child)
- Youth’s child
- Youth’s attorney of record
- Other adult with close relationship to youth (with approval of facility Superintendent or designee)
Required Visitor Identification
- Over the age of 14: Valid government-issued photo identification with name, address and date of birth.
- Under the age of 14: Valid identification (i.e. School ID) and must be accompanied by an adult with valid government-issued identification.
- Attorneys/Legal Representatives: DC or state bar card or Public Defender Service credentials, plus government-issued ID.
All visitors to either New Beginnings or the Youth Services Center are subject to searches, which include physical pat searches, electronic hand devices, metal detector scans and search of all property. Entry may be denied for failure to submit to a search. Both facilities have small lockers to store any unauthorized item(s).
Please note that a family member with an infant(s) is allowed to bring 1 bottle of formula, 1 diaper, 2 wipes, and a clear plastic bag.
- Small purse or wallet
- Feminine hygiene items
- Prescription medication needed for emergency use (i.e. epi-pen)
Visitors must be wearing appropriate clothing, defined as clothing with sufficient coverage (no tank tops or halter tops, no open-toed shoes, nothing provocative, revealing, or too tight). Clothing must be free of images that reflect profanity, illegal substances, alcohol, tobacco, or sexually explicit material.
New Beginnings Youth Development Center
8400 River Road, Laurel, MD 20742
Visiting hours are held every Saturday and Sunday from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm. Visitors must arrive by 2pm. Each youth may have up to three visitors at a time.
DYRS offers free transportation to New Beginnings every Saturday and Sunday. The bus is scheduled to arrive for pick up at the Minnesota Avenue Metro Station at 11:00 am and departs promptly at 11:54 am. The bus departs New Beginnings at 2:30 pm.
Youth Services Center (YSC)
1000 Mt. Olivet Road, NE, Washington, DC 20002
Visiting hours are held every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday according to the following schedule.
Tuesdays and Saturdays
- For youth on the housing unit A/B 100, Tuesday from 5pm-6pm and Saturday from 11am-noon
- For youth on the housing unit C/D100, Tuesday from 6:15pm-7:15pm and Saturday from 12:15pm-1:15pm
Thursdays and Sundays
- For youth on the housing unit A/B 200, Thursday from 6:15pm-7:15pm and Sunday from 11am-noon
- For youth on the housing unit C/D 200, Thursday from 5pm-6pm and Sunday from 12:15pm-1:15pm
The youth has 30 minutes per visit with a limit of two visitors at a time.Visitors must arrive at least 30 minutes before the end of the visitation period.
For directions to YSC using public transportation, please refer to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority website at wmata.com. YSC is closest to the Rhode Island Metro Station on the Red Line, and the D8 bus line (towards Union Station).